Local Getaway Ideas to Safely Satisfy Your Wanderlust
As Covid-19 restrictions begin to lift slowly, many are excited to get out and see something other than the inside of their living room. For those with a bad case of wanderlust, we’ve broken down the best local getaway ideas that will bring a sense of adventure right to your backyard (without risking your health).
The Great Outdoors
The best adventure might be outside your back door. Here are some of our favorite local getaway recommendations in the outdoors:
- Hiking challenge: If you’re looking for ways to satisfy your wanderlust, hiking should be one of your first ports of call. Check out Thrillist’s list of the best places to go hiking in each state.
- Fruit and vegetable picking: Fruit and vegetable picking is the perfect way to get outside while still maintaining a safe, social distance from others. Whether you’re picking apples in the autumn or strawberries in the summer, you’re sure to have a fantastic (and delicious) time.
- Glamping: Camping isn’t for the faint of heart, but ‘glamourous camping’ is an ideal option for the outdoor beginner. Each experience is different, with some glamping locations even offering full beds inside their tents in the woods (find nearby places using Hipcamp). If there are no glamping experiences nearby, create your own getaway in your backyard with an air mattress, tent, fancy snacks and bug spray.
- Visit a neighboring town: With international travel off the table, take a look at vacation rentals in neighboring towns for a breath of fresh air. Don’t be afraid to go off the beaten path–many beach, mountain, and lake houses are available for lower prices during the off-season. According to Business Insider, experts agree that private vacation homes are safer than rentals when avoiding high-risk areas for Covid-19.
The Great Indoors
If you’re keen on staying home, here are some few ideas for making the most of your night inside, whether in a rental space or your own cozy space.
- Theme night: Dress up and decorate your house for a special theme, with guest costumes encouraged. Need inspiration? Give a murder mystery night or poker tournament a try. No matter your choice, pick an option that breaks up the boring of a regular day.
- At-home global travel: If you can’t travel IRL, you’ll need to rely on your imagination and a little research. Pick a country anywhere in the world and plan your evening around it. Cook local recipes, play music from the region and watch movies based in or around that specific part of the globe.
- Takeout tasting: Traveling to a new town for the weekend, but want to stay socially-distant? Create a takeout tasting of some of the local area’s best food options. It might take a little bit of planning, but the opportunities to build your own menu are endless.
- Drinks tasting: Whether you’re tasting local wines, beers, infused sodas or a combination of all three, a drinks tasting is an ideal way to feel connected to a city—both familiar and foreign.
Plan a Local Getaway
There are plenty of ways to satisfy your wanderlust without hopping on a plane. Whether you choose to go for a hike or travel to a neighboring town, remember to keep your mask on, wash your hands and stay safe!